Dr. Roza Tchoukaleyska
Assistant Professor, Environment & Sustainability & Geography
Dr. Roza Tchoukaleyska received her PhD in Geography from the University of Sheffield, UK, and held a SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship at the City Institute, York University, Canada. Her research considers how urban space is governed, with attention to cultural landscapes, public space politics, and food identities. Her current research examines urban agrarian protests in France and Canada and the impact of international trade agreements on rural farming communities. Dr. Tchoukaleyska is part of the Memorial University ACE-Space network which focuses on the socio-economic dynamics of small- and medium-sized cities, and is the Director of the PhiLab Atlantic Hub. She teaching experiential learning community planning courses through the Grenfell Campus City Studio program, and is a Board Member of the Western Environment Centre in Corner Brook.
- Ph.D. (Geography) University of Sheffield, UK.
- M.A. (Geography) University of British Columbia, Canada.
- B.A., (Hons) Historical and Cultural Geography, University of Toronto, Canada.
- Cultural geography
- Urban redevelopment
- Community planning
- Public space
- Foodways and foodscapes
- Community engagement
- Urban governance
- Rural-urban connections
- Ethnographic research
- Urban comparative research
- Principal Investigator – ‘Reshaping the city through agrarian protest: Public space, rural actors, and the cultural implications of international trade agreements’. (SSHRC Insight Grant, 2019-2024).
- Principal Investigator – ‘Coastal communities in a changing climate: Impacts, challenges, and solutions for Gros Morne’. (SSHRC Connection Grant, 2018-2019).
- Principal Investigator – ‘The impact of high-rise revitalization on suburban public spaces in Canada and France’ (SSHRC Insight Development Grant, 2015-2018).
Examples of Recent Courses Taught:
- Geography 2001: Cultural Geography
- Environment and Sustainability 3100: Environmental Planning
- Geography 3350: Community and Regional Planning and Development
- Environmental Policy 6525: Special Topics: Environmental Education and Planning
Master of Arts (M.A.) in Environmental Policy:
- Lukas Bosch
- Mayra Sanchez (co-supervise with Andreas Klinke)
- Dongjun Lee (co-supervise with Gabriela Sabau)
- Abdul-Rahim Abdulai
Please see https://rozatchoukaleyska.com/ for a complete list of publications.
- Tchoukaleyska, R. (2018) ‘Public places and empty spaces: dislocation, urban renewal and the death of a French plaza’, Urban Geography 29(6): 944-962.
- Tchoukaleyska, R. (2016) ‘Public space and memories of migration: erasing diversity through urban redevelopment in France’, Social & Cultural Geography 17(8): 1101-1119.
- Tchoukaleyska, R. (2015) ‘Illicit mint and unregulated vendors: constructing illegality in French public spaces’, Area 47(1):81-87.
- Tchoukaleyska, R. (2013) ‘Regulating the farmers’ market: paysan expertise, quality production and local food’. Geoforum, 45:211-218.
- Tchoukaleyska, R. (2011) ‘Co-housing childhoods: parents’ mediation of urban risk through participation in intentional communities’. The Journal of Children’s Geographies, 9(2): 235-246.