Dr. Rachel Webb Jekanowski
Assistant Professor, English, School of Arts and Social Science
Office: AS 332F
Phone: (709) 637-6560, ext. 6560
Dr. Rachel Webb Jekanowski received her PhD in Film and Moving Image Studies from Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec and held a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at Memorial University’s St. John’s Campus. Her research and teaching are highly interdisciplinary, drawing on film and media studies, the environmental humanities, energy studies, cultural studies, and geography. Her current research project examines how art and design can be mobilized as forms of climate communication, particularly in response to local energy industries. Dr. Jekanowski is a member of the Low-Carbon Research Group housed at Trent University, Ontario and a co-editor of The Goose: A Journal of Arts, Environment, and Culture in Canada.
Ph.D. (Film and Moving Image Studies), Concordia University, Canada
M.A. (Film Studies), Concordia University, Canada
B.A. Honours (Film and Media), Queen’s University, Canada
- Media and Environment
- Environmental Humanities
- Energy Studies/Energy Cultures
- Infrastructure Studies
- Cultural Geography
- Arts-Based Approaches to Environmental/Climate Communication
- Low-Carbon Research Methods
- Community Engagement
- Environmental Justice and Decolonization
Examples of Recent Courses Taught:
- Research and Bibliography (English Programme, Grenfell Campus)
- World-Building and Science Fiction Cinema (English Programme, Grenfell Campus)
- North American Petrocultures (Faculty of Linguistics, Literature, and Cultural Studies, Dresden University of Technology) – co-instructor with faculty from Dresden and Trent University
- Media and Environmental Justice Movements (Media, Film and Communications Program, Lakehead University – Orillia)
Jekanowski, R. (2022). “Contested and Emergent Futures: Film and Energy Regimes of the Newfoundland Offshore.” In Cold Water Oil: Offshore Petroleum Cultures, eds. F. Polack and D. Farquharson, 116-136. London and New York: Routledge.
Jekanowski, R. and E. Roehl, eds. (2022). “Special Issue: Critical and Creative Engagements with Petro-Media.” Imaginations: Journal of Cross-Cultural Image Studies 13(1). dx.doi.org/10.17742/IMAGE.PM.13.1.
After Oil Collective (including R. Jekanowski). (2022). Solarities: Seeking Energy Justice. Edited by A. Vemuri and D. Barney. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
Jekanowski, R. (2021). “From Labrador to Leipzig: Film and Infrastructures along the Fur Trail.” Canadian Journal of Communication 46(2): 291-314.
Jekanowski, R., F. Polack, D. Farquharson, and D. Bavington. (2020). Energy Amphitheatre: St. John’s Harbour. ArcGIS StoryMaps. https://arcg.is/19zr81.
Jekanowski, R. (2019). “Scientific Visions: Resource Extraction and the Colonial Impulse in Canadian Popular Science Films.” Canadian Journal of Film Studies 28(1): 1-24.