Dr. Gabriela Sabau, B.A., Ph.D. (Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania)
Honorary Research Professor – Economics / Environmental Studies
Gabriela Sabau holds a BA and a PhD in Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies in Bucharest. Before coming to Canada, Gabriela was an Assistant Professor of Economics at the Academy of Economic Studies in Bucharest and a member of a national research network for the sustainable reconstruction of Romania. Since 2003, she has been teaching Economics and Environmental Studies at Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland. In 2013 she was awarded the Grenfell Campus Teaching Award. Gabriela’s research interests are sustainability, sustainable development, fueled by scientific knowledge and value judgements; unjust un-economic growth; demand-side management of water resources; and sustainable management of fisheries, with a focus on small-scale fisheries. She is a member of the international research network “Too Big to Ignore”, dedicated to global revival of small-scale fisheries. In the last two years, Gabriela has led a committee for the development of a PhD in Transdisciplinary Sustainability program proposal.
- Sustainable development
- Unjust un-economic growth
- Demand-side management of water resources
- Sustainable governance of fisheries, with a focus on small-scale fisheries
- Economics and policies of coastal and marine areas
Current Research Projects and Grants
Examples of Recent Courses Taught:
- ECON 1010: Intro to Microeconomics
- ECON 1020: Intro to Macroeconomics
- ECON 3010: Intermediate Macro Theory I
- ECON 3080: Natural Resource and Environmental Economics
- ECON 3085: Issues in Ecological Economics
- EVST 4950: Environmental Studies Independent Research Project
- ENVP 6522: Sustainability Monitoring and Assessment (co-taught with Dr. John Dagevos)
- CMM05: Economics and Policies of Coastal and Marine Environments (University Center of the Westfjords, Iceland)
Chapters in Books
- Sabau, G., E. M. Dobrescu, 2020. “Paradigme actuale ale sistemului alimentar global” (Current paradigms of the global food system), chapter in book Studii si Cercetari de Biodiversitate, vol. 2, Aurel F. Badiu, Emilian M. Dobrescu, Laurențiu Ciornei (Editors). Craiova: Sitech.
- Sabau, G., 2018. “Ecological Economics”, chapter in book: The Future of Ocean Governance and Training, Integrated Coastal and Ocean Management, Ed. Coffen-Smout, S., Brill Publishers, Boston.
- Sabau, G., 2016. “Costa Rica: A Champion of the UN-FAO Voluntary Guidelines for Sustainable Small-Scale Fisheries”. Chapter in book Implementation of the SSF Guidelines, S. Jentoft et al. (edit.), Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Sabau, G., 2014.”Environmental Studies Now”. Chapter in ebook Environmental Science for the Curious, editor Kishor Vaidya University of Canberra, Australia.
- Sabau, G., 2011. “Whose fish is it anyway? Iceland’s cod fishery rights”, chapter in book World Small-Scale Fisheries. Contemporary Visions. Ed. Ratana Chuenpagdee, Eburon Delft.
- Reza, M.S. and Sabau, G. 2022. Impact of climate change on crop production and food security in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Journal of Agriculture and Food Research, Volume 10, 100405
- G. Sabau, 2020. The Political Economy of Sustainability, Sustainability 12(4):1537. doi:10.3390/su12041537
- Redwan A., G. Sabau and M. Haghiri, 2019. The Long Run Relationship between Economic Growth and Environmental Quality, Asian Journal of Agricultural Extension, Economics & Sociology 32(3): 1-10, 2019; Article no.AJAEES.48454 ISSN: 2320-7027.
- Foley, P., Carruthers, E., Neis B., Sabau, G., Fiander, W., 2017. “Fisheries and Aquaculture in a Post-Oil Dependent Newfoundland and Labrador”, Royal Society of Canada Expert Panel Report.
- Mercer, N., Sabau, G., Klinke, A., 2017. “Wind energy is not an issue for government: Barriers to wind energy development in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada”. Energy Policy. Volume 108, pp. 673-683.
- Sabau, G., Boksh, M., 2017. “Fish Trade Liberalization under 21st Century Trade Agreements: The CETA and Newfoundland and Labrador Fish and Seafood Industry”, Ecological Economics, Issue 141, pp. 222-233.
- Sabau, G., van Zyll de Jong, M., 2015. “From Unjust Uneconomic Growth to Sustainable Fisheries in NL: The True Cost of Closing the Inshore Fishery of Groundfish”, Marine Policy, Volume 61, pp. 376-389.
- Sabau, G., 2010. “Know, Live, and Let Live: Towards a Redefinition of the Knowledge-Based Economy – Sustainable Development Nexus”, Ecological Economics, Issue 69, pp. 1193-1201.
- Sabau, G., Haghiri, M., 2008. “Household Willingness-to-Engage in Water Quality Projects in Western Newfoundland and Labrador: A Demand-Side Management Approach”, Water and Environment Journal” Issue 22, pp. 168-176.
- 2013 Grenfell Teaching Award