Professor, Environment & Sustainability
- BA, Economics, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania
- PhD, Economics, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania
- Sustainability science: concept and measurement
- The future of the ocean
- The Anthropocene and climate change: ecological economics and the objective value of life
- Relevance of the FAO voluntary guidelines for sustainable development of small-scale fisheries.
- The promise of agroecology: small-scale organic agriculture for Newfoundland and Labrador
Examples of Recent Courses Taught:
- ECON 1010: Intro to Microeconomics
- ECON 1020: Intro to Macroeconomics
- ECON 3010: Intermediate Macro Theory I
- ECON 3080: Natural Resource and Environmental Economics
- ECON 3085: Issues in Ecological Economics
- EVST 4950: Environmental Studies Independent Research Project
- ENVP 6522: Sustainability Monitoring and Assessment (co-taught with Dr. John Dagevos)
- CMM05: Economics and Policies of Coastal and Marine Environments (University Center of the Westfjords, Iceland)
Master of Arts (M.A.) in Environmental Policy
- Dongjun Lee (co-supervised)
- Natasha Pennell
- Naznin Sultana
- Sean Dolter
- Tasrick Araf
- F.I.M. Muktadir Boksh
- Ayoola Samuel Odeyemi
- Redwan Ahmed
- Conor A. Edwards (co-supervised)
- Nick Mercer (co-supervised)
- Obafemi Okusipe
- Emmanuel Tamufor
- Shem Evans
- Temitope Onifade (co-supervised)
- Michelle Gosse (co-supervised)
- Tanay Bhushon Sarkar (co-supervised)
- Mohammad Selim Reza
University Center of the Westfjords, Iceland: Master in Coastal Management
- Lucian Renita
- Mette Kjellerup Schiønning
- Aris Thomasberger
- Florian Giesler
Knowledge Society – A Romanian Perspective, Bucuresti, Editura Econmoica (2001)
Chapters in Books
- Sabau, G., 2018. “Ecological Economics” chapter in book: The Future of Ocean Governance and Training, Integrated Coastal and Ocean Management, Ed. Coffen-Smout, S., Brill Publishers, Boston.
- Sabau, G., 2017. “Costa Rica: A Champion of the Small-Scale Fisheries Guidelines” chapter in book: The Small-Scale Fisheries Guidelines: Global Implementation, Eds. Jentoft, S., Chuenpagdee, R., Barragan-Paladines, M.J., Franz, N., Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing AG, pp. 355-378.
- Chuenpagdee, R., Olson, K., Bishop, D., Brauer, M., Kerezl, V., Plaan, J., Potter, S., Rogers, V., Sabau, G., 2017. “The Step Zero for Implementing the Small-Scale Fisheries Guidelines in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada” chapter in book: The Small-Scale Fisheries Guidelines: Global Implementation, Eds. Jentoft, S., Chuenpagdee, R., Barragan-Paladines, M.J., Franz, N., Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing AG, pp. 495-517.
- Sabau, G., 2014. “Environmental Studies Now”, chapter in volume Environmental Science for the Curious, Why Study Environmental Science? Ed. Kishor Vaidya, Canberra: The Curious Academic Publishing, Kindle Edition.
- Sabau, G., 2011. “Whose fish is it anyway? Iceland’s cod fishery rights”, chapter in the book World Small-Scale Fisheries. Contemporary Visions. Ed. Ratana Chuenpagdee, Delft: Eburon Academic Publishers, pp. 173-184.
- Sabau, G., 2006. “Moral Knowledge, the Forgotten Dimension of Sustainability”, chapter in ebook Environments, Sustainability and Technologies, Oxford, UK: Inter-disciplinary Press, Oxford.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- G. Sabau, 2020. The Political Economy of Sustainability, in Sustainability 12(4):1537. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12041537
- Redwan, A., Sabau, G., Haghiri, M., 2019. “The long run relationship between economic growth and environmental quality” in Asian Journal of Agricultural Extension, Economics & Sociology 32(3): 1-10, 2019; Article no.AJAEES.48454 ISSN: 2320-7027
- Foley, P., Carruthers, E., Neis B., Sabau, G., Fiander, W., 2017. “Fisheries and Aquaculture in a Post-Oil Dependent Newfoundland and Labrador”, Royal Society of Canada Expert Panel Report.
- Mercer, N., Sabau, G., Klinke, A., 2017. “Wind energy is not an issue for government: Barriers to wind energy development in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada”. Energy Policy. Volume 108, pp. 673-683.
- Sabau, G., Boksh, M., 2017. “Fish Trade Liberalization under 21st Century Trade Agreements: The CETA and Newfoundland and Labrador Fish and Seafood Industry”, Ecological Economics, Issue 141, pp. 222-233.
- Sabau, G., van Zyll de Jong, M., 2015. “From Unjust Uneconomic Growth to Sustainable Fisheries in NL: The True Cost of Closing the Inshore Fishery of Groundfish”, Marine Policy, Volume 61, pp. 376-389.
- Suciu, M-C., Sabau, G., Constantin, F., 2014. “Agro-ecology, organic agriculture and food sovereignty”, Cafee_ase.ro_file 2014 (44), pp.1-12.
- Sabau, G., 2010. “Know, Live, and Let Live: Towards a Redefinition of the Knowledge-Based Economy – Sustainable Development Nexus”, Ecological Economics, Issue 69, pp. 1193-1201.
- Sabau, G., Haghiri, M., 2008. “Household Willingness-to-Engage in Water Quality Projects in Western Newfoundland and Labrador: A Demand-Side Management Approach”, Water and Environment Journal” Issue 22, pp. 168-176.